September 23, 2009

The New Brandon Marshall

Seems as though Brandon Marshall has grown up a bit during his suspension. I found a short article about him on DP and it's quite funny if you ask me. He's learned a thing or two about how to handle the media, and it's genius.

From the Denver Post:

Brandon Marshall is trying to douse the drama surrounding him and stiff-arm any potential distraction his past drama may have brought to the team.

The Broncos' once-star receiver was a soldier for the team-before-self concept today.

When Marshall was asked about not playing through most of the second quarter Sunday in a 27-6 victory against the Cleveland Browns, he said: "Sir, you keep asking the same question. I keep answering it. I don't know what else you want me to do. I'm excited about playing against Oakland. I'm excited about us being 2-0. All I can do is do my job.

"Me being out there, not being out there as much as I used to be is something I have to get used to, but it's the National Football league. Things change. I think I'm good enough to be out there, but it doesn't matter what I think, so all I can do is embrace it. I've learned from trying to fight the system. You know what, this is a great time of the season for us to be 2-0."

Does this mean Marshall, who issued a trade request on June 12, and again August 17, is happy to be a Bronco?

"You guys are asking me questions from a month ago," Marshall said. "That's in the past. We're 2-0, the fans are happy, the players are happy, coaches are happy. Everybody's happy. Every Denver Bronco, fan, are happy right now. And I'm the same."

Whoever he talked to during his suspension, got to him and it worked. He seems more calm and rational. He's learning about the virtue we call patience. Marshall is not going to get his way all the time and he became accustomed to that while a certain #6 was in town.

There is more than just one receiver on that field and I personally like the way Orton is giving a variety of guys on the team their chance to make plays, just like he's been given a chance. This is a team effort and Orton is showing that while Marshall is learning about it.

Brandon will get his opportunities to shine, I have no doubt about it, but he's come to the realization that he can't get all the attention on the field.

Whether it was Rod Smith or Brian Dawkins, Coach McDaniels or whoever... someone is instilling some good values, self-respect and leadership over this young man.

I for one am proud of him for coming back down to earth and taking a chill pill. Hopefully he'll get plenty of chances to make some incredible plays on Sunday against the Raiders. We could use a little #15 sunshine in the Black Hole.

2 comments:

  1. Hey fellas. Homework has taken over my life... feel like I'm trapped in prison. I want to stab my homework. I might be able to be around more when this one class ends early October, then I'll only have 3 classes. Anyway, I found this article and decided I like the new Brandon Marshall, so I posted it for you all.

    Hope everyone is doing well. Well, I'm off to "prison" again. lol

    ReplyDelete