October 21, 2010

Week 7: Broncos vs. The Raiders Everyone Loves To Hate Preview



















The time has finally come for the beloved Broncos to take on their most hated rival, the Chokeland Faiders. And as you can see from above, they already declared themselves losers for Sunday's match-up. ahaha, shocker! It will be an exciting showdown between two teams that go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back... to a history that will never be forgotten and a rivalry that is one of the strongest in the league.


Offense:

Orton vs. ????. Yep, that's right, we have no clue (neither do the "coaches" for Oakland) who will be the QB opposite Denver's defense. We'll get to that funny fiasco later. As for Orton, what can I say. He's been real solid for us, despite our 4 losses. Up till the Jets game he had a 300-yard game streak going. I can see him getting back on track with that this Sunday. While the Raiders rank 8th in pass defense, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to control our WR threats.

As long as our young Oline can protect Orton in the pocket and give him all day long to throw the ball, we'll be able to get the show rolling early on and stay ahead of the game for once. Orton is the #2 league leader in passing yards, just 66 yards behind Crybaby Rivers in SD (gag!!!). I have full confidence in Orton in any game, but this game is the time to really take control of our own destiny. We are playing a rival team, a team that should never be underestimated but we are also playing a team that, well... sucks. (Thanks to good 'ol Al).

So now that funny little fiasco in Raider nation. The two quarterbacks for Oakland that have been taking turns taking snaps have been limited in practice this week, leaving them with one other QB option, Kyle Boller. However, neither Gradkowski or Campbell have been ruled out. No one is sure or even has a clue as to who will be their QB on Sunday. Glad to know we aren't the only team with crazy drama going on. On the other hand, they have the 10th ranked rushing offense in the league with RBs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush. McFadden has gotten the majority of the handoffs but both RBs have proven to be threats to any defense. Even scarier, Denver is the 25th ranked rush defense... we all know what that means. We have had a very tough time putting together our own run game on offense AND stopping the run. Denver has had a few shining moments but both aspects could be a lot better.

While its kind of comical to see Oakland not have a QB they are really confident in ready to play Sunday, they have a run game that can make up for all that. Our defense is going to have to be extra prepared for whoever they put behind center and be prepared for the two RBs ready to cause trouble. Denver will be seeing Moreno back for a second week since returning from his hammy injury and we need him to be at his best. We could be seeing a lot of him too, considering Oakland is 30th in stopping the run. Just for the record, when they played Tennessee, Houston & SF, they let their top RBs run for over 100 yards. This is our golden opportunity to get our running game back on track to where it should be. I would love nothing more than to see Moreno have a 100 yard game (and a win). ;)

With that said, I think this is also our golden chance to have a balanced offense for once. Something this team needs SO bad. I love our passing stats and so on but we need balance more than anything. Our WRs will have good games on Sunday... Brandon Lloyd will be the prime target for Orton as he has been, but he will also be well covered (probably by Asomugha). I do hope though that Thomas will be able to get a few reps... he's someone that can make those unbelievable, jaw-dropping catches even when he is well-covered.

Another area to look at is the inclusion of Tim Tebow in our run game. Last week he had 6 carries for 36 yards and 1 touchdown. Not exactly the stats you expect to see from a QB but I'd rather see him on the field doing anything rather than warming up a bench just for the fun of it. He has started to be included in the overall plan for this team and all I can say is "its about time!". He's a big guy, (with big guns, lol), with the obvious build of a QB and when he put in a game to get some rush yards, he's a tough one to take down. We just need to be careful using him too much, but that shouldn't be a problem seeing as how in the game against the Jets it was the first time we saw him on the field since week 1. We need to look to Moreno to get our run game on track. He had a good game last week... keep it up man!

Both teams are oddly matched... Denver's offense excels at passing but has yet to establish any kind of decent run game and they will be up against the league's 3rd to worst rush defense but the league's 8th ranked pass defense. Look for Denver to start establishing a run game worth talking about. Oakland's offense is just the opposite. They have a strong run game but one of the bottom 10 pass offenses but they will be facing a defense that's not very strong in stopping the run or passing game. But like I always say, anything is possible. It will be an awesome, wild showdown between bitter rivals. Ahh, the joys of football!


Defense:

Denver's defense showed their best performance in last Sunday's match against the Jets since their win in Tennessee nearly 3 weeks ago. After that game they were run over by the bulldozer that is the Baltimore Ravens offense. From there they have picked up their game quite a bit, given the circumstances they faced like having to play without 5 major key defensive players including our very own Weapon X. And for the second straight day (Wed & Thurs), all five of those players missed practice. Denver's ailing defense will have to depend on the back ups again this week in hopes of stopping Oakland's run game and their overall offensive push.

In addition to all that, Denver has 2 more big defensive guys that are listed as questionable for Sunday's game - Champ Bailey & Kevin Vickerson. Without Champ, our defense could be in serious trouble and no doubt they will be tested dearly. Oakland doesn't have near as good of a pass offense as Denver has established but with Champ possibly out, they will test the waters to see what they can muster up and to test our CBs on their best receivers. There will be no room for mistakes like the PI call on Hill last week. We simply cannot afford those mistakes and calls. Denver has no choice but to play smart football this weekend and to get a win out of this game. Against this particular rival, I expect Denver to be at their very best. Remind Oakland of who's house they are playing in and let them know that aren't welcome to come in THE Mile High City and walk out with a win.

Oakland's defense has one bright spot and that is their pass defense (8th in the league). Other than that, they have struggled to stop their opponents from putting up points, putting up big yardage and stopping the run. Our offense needs to take advantage of their weaknesses and show 'em who's boss. Depending on how the game goes it could easily be a close one the whole way or just as easily be a blow out. I prefer for Denver to blow them out of the water. haha Cream those turds!! lol

One thing I really want to see from our defense is more pressure on the QB, whoever that may be. We have to stop giving opposing QBs enough time to do their jobs. So far D.J. Williams leads the team with 2.5 sacks. While that's better than nothing, we have put more pressure on the Oline to get to the QB. Another Oakland player to watch out for is rookie LB Rolando McClain. He hasn't had any INTs or sacks yet, but we can't give him that chance. Denver's Oline will need to be extra prepared for anything as will our defense.

Special Teams:

With WR Eddie Royal possibly missing the game as well, Denver should and possibly will look to rookie DB Syd'Quan "Squid" Thompson to take on punt returns. He got his first regular season NFL action against the Jets and came right out and showed why he will be a key player for us in the future with his first NFL interception. We will be seeing double duty from him since we have become short-handed on defense but I hope to see him excel with punt return duties as well. We saw him in pre-season take punts and he has what it takes to get our special teams back to a respective spot in the NFL. I hope to see a big game from him on defense and ST. It also wouldn't hurt to have him take a few kick returns too. Let the kid do his thing.


Injuries:

The never-ending injury bug just can't seem to leave Denver alone. Getting on my last nerve. The injuries we have that are of big concern are still the five guys we had to play without on defense and again all 5 will be out for the week 7 match-up: Dawkins (knee), Ayers (foot), Woodyard (hammy), Goodman (quadricep) & McBath (ankle). From there the list has grown a bit with Royal (groin), Bailey (ribs) & Vickerson (groin) all listed as questionable. Our defense has a lot on their plate to deal with. Good riddens!

Good news is, Oakland's injury report is longer than ours! ha The 4 guys out for them are: DT Henderson (foot), LB Howard (knee), WR Schilens (knee) & LB Goethel (back). The six questionable players are: TE Myers (concussion), RB Bennett (hammy), S Branch (back), QB Campbell (knee), QB Gradkowski (right shoulder) & RB McFadden (hammy). This will be a weird, weird game. Shaking my head over here. lol

Here is the Bronco-Raider Preview video and trivia questions.

Broncos-Raiders Preview

Trivia Questions: And just for fun, you all should just take wild guesses first before you go look up the answers on Google or wherever. I want to see how close your guesses are to the real answers.

1. How many times did John Elway pass for 3,000 or more yards in his Broncos' career?

2. How many times did Clinton Portis rush for 100 or more yards in his firs two NFL seasons ('02-'03)?

3. What player holds the the Broncos' all-time record with 65 career touchdowns?




Just thought I'd give you all a good laugh. We already know it, but you know the Faiders are pathetic when they have to advertise like this to get a decent GM. LOL, the idiocy that is the Raiders. Too comical.

42 comments:

  1. Forgot to put up my prediction for the game. 31-21, Broncos all the way!

    Oh and those guesses, lol...
    Wrong
    Wrong and
    Wrong

    #3 guess is way off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12
    18
    Elway 334 TDs. TD 65 TDs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I will say 12 for question 1
    I think it would be about 10 or 11 times for question 2
    And 3 is interesting? Is it rushing or passing TDs? Because Terrell Davis has 60 rushing TDs and 5 receiving TDs for a total of 65.

    So doesn't include passing?

    And my prediction is 34-10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prediction we win 24-13

    ReplyDelete
  5. Digger got the answers right the second time.

    The place where I got question 3 didn't specify on passing or rushing TDs. I typed it up just like the paper had it written. I mean the way its written the answer could have been Elway only because it doesn't specify on the position of the player either. But it is Davis with 65 career TDs.

    I like the predictions. Will be a good game... too bad I'll be missing it AGAIN!! Found out yesterday that for the 3rd straight week they won't show the Broncos game. Man, am I P'OD! And they won't show it next week either cuz it will be on at the same time on the same channel as the stupid Chiefs. I have got to get out of this state! Anyway, when the time comes, I'm gonna need help finding a good link to watch the game. I can't miss this one, I just can't. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me either BP. I'v e been watching online though. Most times it works alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far the only game on has been the Indy game. Next week it's in London. Won't that be a night game or something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo Princess I will try and hook you up with a link, game starts at 6 am for me, so I will try my best, I will post a link here.

    But also that email I sent you with links to sites is generally where I go first to find a link, just have to do a bit of searching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah the london game should be the late game and on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked, played Sun night in England, on at 12 here(Central Time Zone).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah Digger that is one of the places I go to get links. I have a few others which are like that one.

    And what is that EST time so I can work it out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's my point about the London game, it will be showing here at 12N (my time) and that just happens to be the same time as the KC-Buffalo game & the same channel. I seriously need to move back to CO, I wouldn't be having this problem! grrr lol I'll look for the London game, but here in KC, they hate showing Denver games as much as I hate watching KC games. I'll be shocked if they show any Denver games anytime soon.

    Aussie, I know you sent me an email awhile back with links and I got one of them to work but I can't remember which one it was and then I accidentally deleted that email. Whoops. lol I think the link I got to work and liked the best started with an L or R, something. Was kind of a weird name. If I saw it I'd remember.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Princess you such a dummy, do you want me to resend that email to you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, watch who you call a dummy, boy. It was by accident, you turd. lol

    And yes, please resend it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha you are too funny Princess, well I will resend it then, and don't delete it by "accident" again haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for resending it, I'll be sure to keep it. Oh and now that I opened that email, the site that worked best for me is called veetle. I knew it was some really weird name. I still can't believe they aren't going to show this game here. I just don't get it.

    I don't know what I did that was so funny but glad to know you think I'm funny. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://atdhe.net/26446/watch-oakland-raiders-vs-denver-broncos

    This one is working but need to install vshare.

    ReplyDelete
  18. F me side ways, Orton thanks for that, Oakland up 14 nothing, could be a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn if that would have been another td, damn we are in terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't any of the links in that email to work. Firefox won't let me download vshare to get the game on atdhe. Nothing is working but by the sounds of the game, maybe that's a good thing? lol HELP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha yeah this game at the moment at worth watching going terrible.

    And when you go to that link above there will be a thing that asks you to install the plugin, or a bar at the top to allow the plugin to install, then that link should work, as that is the one I am watching.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hahaha, wow, all I did was copy & paste that link you posted on here to the web bar and it works. Didn't have to install or download anything. Good grief.

    Broncos need to hold off the Raiders for the rest of the game now. I can't take losing to these guys at home. Not again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm yeah may be better to look away, this game is out of hand...and getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I know, making me sick watching this. I can't believe it got off to this bad of a start, we're down by 24 and its just now getting to the 2nd qtr. Their offense is killing our D. They showed a shot of Dawkins on the sideline and he looks so helpless. We need him so bad right now. Something's gotta give.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah I hope something good happens soon, Marcus Thomas has been playing well but the others need to step up. Drag Orton for Tebow?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think we should give Tebow a chance. I know he's been put in twice but they keep taking him out. Give him a chance to do something... it just might work! Won't know till he gets a full opportunity to do so. Taking him out everytime he doesn't get a 1st down isn't going to help him or our situation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yeah drag Orton I think, another turnover, this is killing us. We are in big trouble, may be better to look away.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like we might have something here soon. We need a TD so bad right now. COME ON BRONCOS!!! GET 'ER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! Its about time. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah some points, that is a good start but need to continue that in the 2nd and get more points. Will we win? I don't know long way to go, but that is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 24 points down is the biggest come back win, so 38 points is a big ask.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So good things from the first half...Larsen had a catch?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Actual will give credit to DJ, had one sack and would haev had the second if not for holding on him, so hunter got the sack.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I know. We need to get at least 31 to tie the game but that means we'd have to hold off their offense to do that so they don't get farther ahead, then we need to get 31+ points to take the lead. Our D is already beat. I knew Oakland would put up a fight but dang, they took it to a whole new level. Orton did great on that last drive. We need more of that and our defense has got to stop the run as if their lives depended on it. Their jobs certainly do. Champ needs to get a pick 6. That would make my day, other than us getting this win.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yeah, glad to see we put some pressure on the QB, emphasis on some. We need to pressure him more. Campbell has had all day to decide what he wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The defense has looked down, but that happens when the offense turns over the ball endlessly. Need to hold the ball and get some points and I think we may get close, win I doubt it, but weirder things have happened, like oakland up by 38. And yes a pick 6 would make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hell yeah, more of that would be nice. Lets go Broncos!

    ReplyDelete
  38. And we just did! haha, Touchdown Moreno!! That's the best our run game has looked all season. Psh, sad but now I'm glad. lol that rhymes! Keep it coming Broncos, keep it comin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dismal... Tebow, Tebow, Tebow!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've never seen anything like this from the Broncos. I'm absolutely stunned. I'm with ya Aussie, we need Tebow in there NOW! Sick to my stomach over here.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Well that was fun...not, dismal, Moreno had some good runs in the end but the rest was terrible.

    ReplyDelete