Chiefs have chance to play spoiler vs. Broncos
» Last meeting: Jay Cutler passed for 286 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Broncos past the Chiefs, 24-17, on Dec. 7, 2008.
» Streaks: The teams have split their last 20 meetings, but the Chiefs have the overall series edge, 53-45, including the playoffs.
» Last week: Kansas City laid an egg in San Diego, getting blown out, 43-14. ... Denver snapped a four-game losing skid by pounding the Giants, 26-6, on Thanksgiving.
Brandon Marshall's presence on the outside: The Chiefs have struggled all year to stop No. 1 receivers, and Marshall possesses the size and speed to present serious problems for Kansas City's secondary. Marshall could open things up for the Broncos' running game if he burns the Chiefs a couple of times early.
Denver's confidence level: It was crucial for the Broncos to end their slide last week, but they have used up just about all the cushion they built for themselves after starting 6-0. A slip against the 3-8 Chiefs could prove costly come playoff time, and could put more doubts into a team trying to regain its swagger.
Kansas City's intensity: With emotional leaders like Brian Dawkins leading the way, there is no question the veteran-laden Broncos will enter Sunday's game fired up and ready to go. The Chiefs, on the other hand, have not always matched the intensity of their opponents this season. Should Kansas City fail to bring the necessary energy this week, it may lead to a blowout.
Did you know?
Denver can finish 3-0 on the road against divisional foes with a win. ... Broncos CB Champ Bailey has four career interceptions against the Chiefs. ... Kansas City's Dustin Colquitt leads the league with 31 punts inside the 20-yard line. ... If the playoffs started today, the Broncos would be a wild-card team. Get an updated look at the postseason picture.ESPN.com
Denver safety Brian Dawkins missed his second straight day of practice because of an ankle injury. Friday will be a key day in determining whether Dawkins will play at Kansas City.
Harris has missed four-plus games with a toe injury. He is on pace to play at Kansas City.
- Sunday’s game marks the latest in a year (Dec. 6) that Denver has been scheduled to open its season series with the Chiefs, who are coming off a 43-14 loss at San Diego last week.
- The Broncos are 6-0 this year with a positive turnover ratio, posting a 4-0 mark with a +2 ratio and a 2-0 mark with a +1 ratio.
- During the last three weeks, rookie RB has totaled the sixth-most rushing yards (265 / 88.3 ypg.) and the third-best yards per rush average (5.6) in the NFL. He leads all league rookies in rushing yards (688) and yards from scrimmage (784) this year.
- C , who spent seven years (2001-07) with Kansas City, owns a consecutive snaps played streak of 8,724 dating back to 2001 that is the longest in the NFL.
- QB is 10-4 in his last 14 starts dating back to December 2008.
- Led by long-time NFL defensive coordinator , the Broncos are the only team to rank among the league’s top six clubs defensively in sacks (3rd, 32), yards per play (4th, 4.8), yards per game (5th, 295.0), passing yards per game (5th, 185.0) and points per game (6th, 17.2).
- OLB/DE notched his sixth multiple-sack game of the season last week with two sacks against the Giants. He leads the NFL with a personal-best 14 sacks and is looking to become the first league sack champion in Broncos history.
- S is tied for the NFL lead with three fumble recoveries, including one posted last week against the Giants. The seven-time Pro Bowl choice ranks third among current players (1st among DBs) with 16 career fumble recoveries.
- Last week against the Giants, K made all four field-goal attempts and registered touchbacks on 5-of-7 kickoffs. His five touchbacks ranked as the second most by a Bronco in a game during the last 15 years.
- Since signing veteran P on Oct. 26, the Broncos’ net punting average has shown the fourth-most improvement (+3.7 yds. / 34.5 to 38.2) in the NFL.
Well I am expecting big games out of the whole team, it will take a whole team effort to win this one in KC. I would love to see a big game out of Elvis 'DOOM'ervil, with Strahan's record in sight it would be great to have that in Denver's hands.
This game will be really close and very hard fought, but I believe the Broncos can come away with the win. I think it will be 24 - 17 final score with the Broncos sealing the victory in the 4th quarter.
Q: Where do you go in Kansas City in case of a tornado?
A: To Arrowhead - they never get a touchdown there.
Q: Why was Herm Edwards upset when the Kansas City Chiefs play book was stolen?
A: Because he hadn't finished coloring it.
Would be funny to see Miles do this.