April 23, 2012

Brian Dawkins Retires

NFL.com: Brian Dawkins announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday, and the legendary Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos safety is satisfied to step away from the game on his own terms.

"It's just the fact about having peace about stepping away from the game knowing that I can play the game another year -- that may sound crazy -- but knowing I could play this game at least another year gave me a lot of peace," Dawkins said during a conference call Monday. "A lot more peace to step away from the game a year too early, rather than a year too late."

After 16 seasons, Dawkins retires with 26 sacks and 37 interceptions, having played in one Super Bowl with the Eagles and nine Pro Bowls (including this past season, as an alternate). Dawkins also was a four-time first-team All-Pro selection.

Dawkins battled neck injuries toward the end of the 2011 season and missed two of the Broncos' final three regular-season games and the team's two playoff games. However, the safety refuted any suggestion that his retirement was related to injury.

"Injury factors weren't the main ingredient here. It really wasn't," Dawkins said.

Dawkins, ever characterized by his physical style of play, said another player could come into the league and play like him, but the stricter rules would make it hard for them to be successful.

"He can exist," Dawkins said. "It's going to be tough, it's going to be tough, but he can play."

While others already have started the Pro Football Hall of Fame talk, Dawkins said that was never something he said to himself when he came into the league.

"There is a small percentage of guys who get a chance to play in the National Football League," Dawkins said. "So, just being able to be on the field, you know, to be out there on the field, not on the sideline but on the field playing the game is something that will be missed."

Dawkins said he plans on coaching at the high school level in Denver, but he doesn't have any other immediate plans, other than to spend time with his family.

"My wife has done an excellent job of raising our kids," Dawkins told The Denver Post. "A lot of time I'm not here. I'm going to be around more."

ESPN.com: Here is Fox’s statement:

"Brian Dawkins is one of the best to ever play the game, a future Hall of Famer who changed the way his position is played. In many ways, he helped my job as a coach with his great leadership and preparation. He brought so much to the table, and was such an enormous asset to our football team.

"His contributions go far beyond the wins, interceptions, sacks and Pro Bowls he accumulated during his career. Brian is the definition of class, and is what you want in a leader. I know our players, coaches, fans and so many within the National Football League feel the same way.

"I competed against Brian for many years with the Giants and coached him once in the Pro Bowl, but to be around him every day for a season was truly special. I’m not sure there was a more respected guy in our building than Brian. He knows defense, he knows football, and he knows what it takes to win. I’ve got the utmost admiration for him as both a player and person.

"It’s been an honor and a privilege to coach Brian. Although I will miss the positive impact he had on our team, I congratulate Brian on a tremendous career, and wish him and his family all the best going forward."

According to LJ and Andrew Mason, Dawkins will officially retire on Saturday as a Philadelphia Eagle.

Originally signed to a five-year deal in February 2009, Dawkins took a significant pay cut last August and the final two years of his original deal were wiped out, meaning Dawk had become an unrestricted free agent in March. Therefore, his retirement will have no cap implications for the Broncos, who signed veteran safety Mike Adams to a two-year deal on March 15.

John Elway reacted to Dawk's announcement via Twitter:

Thank you, @BrianDawkins, for being a GREAT Bronco and showing such an incredible commitment to your team and community....Congratulations on a Hall of Fame career, Dawk!!!

Brian Dawkins Tribute Video.

When asked how he hopes to be remembered, Dawkins said simply as a player who worked hard every day, someone who teammates could count on no matter the situation.

And someday -- possibly as soon as the class of 2017 -- he could be remembered as a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

"If that's something that happens, that will be a blessing," Dawkins said. "I never entered the NFL saying, ‘You know, I'm going to be a Hall of Famer.’ I know some guys do that; I just wasn't one of them. That wasn't my mindset. I did not enter the league saying, ‘I want to play 16 years.’ None of these things were in my mind, so, at this point, now that I can really reflect on my career, if it happens, I will share it with my fans and all those that cheered me on. I would share it with my coaches and teammates.

"It would be an absolute blessing and honor."

Personally I am really disappointed that Dawk didn't come back for that last shot at a ring after our team is continuing to build in the right direction. But he goes out on his terms and at his time. Thank you B-Dawk for everything you did for the Broncos and the community.



Also remember the draft competition submission post below. ~ Aussie.

28 comments:

  1. Really is a bugger that Dawk is gone.

    Some interesting notes from Elway.

    “We don’t feel as bad about our tackles as everybody else does,” Elway said in a pre-daft news conference. “I think that we feel OK there and Ty Warren will be back coming off an injury and (Kevin) Vickerson is coming back and then we have some young guys in there where we feel like we’ll be OK. It’s not nearly the need in our minds that people think it is.”

    Still, at some point early in the draft I think Denver will, at least, consider talking a player at the spot. Elway said Denver will take the best player available when they chose and they are wide open at this point.

    “We’re going to go in and continue as we get closer if we hear some things about going up or down, we’ll look at everything” Elway said. “We’ll continue to work on our board, set our board, do our mock drafts, see how things might fall. Again, we don’t have a mindset of exactly what we’re going to do. We’re going to have to wait and see until we get close to that pick at No. 25 and see how the board falls, we’ll never know. It’s a mindset that we want to find the guy that is going to come in and have an impact when it is offensively or defensively.”

    This leads me to believe that a skill position will be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad:( Man I am gonna miss him. Even though he was only with us for a short part of his career, he is by far one of my top three favorite players of all time. Elway, Sharpe, and Tebow are right up there. I can't list an order out of those players, but I can say Elway will always be #1. Thanks to Dawk. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for him. I did not want to see him push it to far and be seriously injured before finally calling it quits.

    So what if Elway said that, this is the time of year for misleading. It probably means we are eyeing one at 25. Who knows? We'll find out in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, the flying Dawk is one of my favourite Broncos.

    Haha Digger I was thinking the same thing. To be honest I am taking the opposite of whatever the Broncos say.

    We trying to trade up for Gilmore - Just boosting his value so someone else falls to us.

    Not going to take a DT - Will take a DT. Haha, though with previous history we may continue to look else where.

    Saw you had your first comp submission Digger, I have been doing study for mine and I think you will find it interesting. Also Jazzy you in for the comp? it is pretty simple and you did it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this off season just keeps getting more peachy (I say that with some strong sarcasm). Someone please stop the annual Denver insanity.

    I'm not surprised to find this out though. Sad, so incredibly sad that he didn't give it one more season after getting a clean bill of health but not surprised. I can understand his thinking though too... wanting to retire while he's healthy. From a fan standpoint though, its tough to swallow knowing how great a player he is. I always think they got just one more season left in them. Tough to see the great ones retire.

    Wish you all the best Dawkins - THE Weapon X. There will NEVER be another one like you. Irreplaceable. Let me guess what he'll do as a retired football player... go play golf?? They all do. I don't get it. You play a crazy awesome sport like football for almost 2 decades then of all things you choose to do with your spare retire time is swing at a ball with a stick? I hate golf so I guess I don't get it lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jazzy!! Looooooooooooooooooooooong time no see. Hope the little guy is doing well :D Nice to see you on here again. You need to comment more haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, i will do my best to get one in on time. right now I am working 50 and 60 hour work weeks out in the desert in the middle of nowhere in Artesia, New Mexico. This place has 100 degree weather and is nothing but dirt and wind. So by the time I travel back home each day, I don't always get to the things I want to do. But I have been planning on doing the competition. Even if it is nothing more than a crap shoot of names. Haha, thats the best i can do since I have never once watched a college football game. All I have is what I read on this site. Anyways. Tomorrow is Taco Tuesday. 50 cent tacos and the weekly doubles disc golf match. So Wednesday will be my only chance. I am off to bed for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And hi princess, good to be back. hope all is well with you all. Looooooooong time indeed. Go Broncos!!!! and Good Night to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Night Jazzy, and that will be cool if you can get one in. Ours are crap shoots too, no matter what Digger thinks :P

    Also don't destory those Tacos too much haha.

    Hey Princess, at least our team isn't boring or sucks like the Browns. As for Golf I think they like to play it because it is polar opposites to what they have been playing. It is relaxing (lies) and you usually don't get hit in the head. But I read somewhere Dawkins was going to coach High School, now that will be one pumped up team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work 50-60 hour weeks as well. It's tough to have any spare time at all. If there is it is spent on family time.

    G, yours is a crap shoot because you're so full of crap. All of your picks are just insane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I feel for you guys, I only do about 40 hours a week. But I do live in a different country and economy. Maybe you should all move here :)

    Haha Digger you wish! My supreme intellect will destroy you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. National Football Post's Greg Gabriel expects Syracuse DE Chandler Jones to be drafted in the 12-22 range on Thursday.
    The Seahawks pick 12th, and the Browns sit at No. 22. Gabriel, a former college scouting director, envisions the lengthy, high-motor Jones as a 4-3 left defensive end in the pros. "One thing is certain," writes Gabriel, "this is a player with a lot of upside." Jones has been one of the bigger "risers" as the draft process has moved along, and he's peaking at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Bills are reportedly "extremely interested" in Alabama S Mark Barron and South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And the fact that his Brother dominated on the weekend also helps his cause. I have him going to the Jets. I have the Bills taking a receiver haha.

    Also my submission is up! Read it and weep.

    I actually got a little carried away to the point I completely forgot about Kuechly. I do believe he will fall and hopefully to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. :)
    You bought into the Minn lies that teams are interested in their pick. If they manage to trade it, it will be for Clev or SL to get Richardson. Tannenhill may not even be a lock to Miami at #8. Most teams have a 2nd round grade on him. Seattle has a high grade on him, but they got Flynn. Kuechly is a top 15 for sure. I have to change mine and get Jones in there. Also swap Buff pick to Barron. I'm sticking with Still being our top pick, maybe in a trade down. Doubt it though. To many 2nd round players at the end of the 1st that nobody will want to trade up to get. SL could have a good WR at 33, I don't know why they would trade up. Unless they get more picks by trading their #6 down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thoughts are that the Browns will take Tannenhill at 4, so if the fins want him they have to jump above the Browns to get him.

    I had the Rams trading up to get Hill to beat the Texans and a few others after them from getting him.

    Barron is getting a lot of hype, the Eagles and Cowboys are also very high on them.

    Kuechly is a top 15 talent but I can see him dropping.

    Originally before I realized I forgot Kuechly I had Still going to us at 31. I had us jump the Giants because they are looking at DTs. So they would have got Worthy. But since I still had Kuechly I was like what the hell.

    I think there could be upwards of 5 trades in the first round.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I updated my submission, got a little carried away with the Kuechly dropping. Now is more likely, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some interesting news.

    Nate Webster is going to Jail.

    Samuel got traded to the Falcons.

    And the Broncos have talked to the Jags about moving up for Stephon Gilmore, allegedly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Digger this ones for you and is worth a good laugh haha.

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/04/if-mel-kiper-junior-broke-down-women-at-a-bar.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha I thought it was funny, especially since Kiper is a big T-Bag. Was worth a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Digger loving that you are on my boy Stephon Gilmore. I would love to see that happen I really would.

    Plus Cyrus Gray has grown on me to the point I like him a little more over Pead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am thinking there will be a lot of trades in this years draft. One team no one is talking about and that could be a dark horse is the falcons. What will they do?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mine doesn't line up, but I am covering more bases. I have no idea what is going to happen. Atleast now I am sticking to my mock.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My crap shoot is in. May the best resulting broncos lineup be the victor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice Jazzy, interesting you have us taking two runningbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. well, I don't really think we will take two, but i hope we pick one or the other. so i figure it increases my chances of choosing the right running back if i pick more than one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Risky move but I like it, only 11 hours now!

    ReplyDelete